Sharp, Witty, Intelligent, Nurturing, Trustworthy, Sparkly
* is trustworthy, upscale and sparkles around the edges
* makes complicated things sound doable
* makes simple things sound luxurious
My voice is one of those rare ones you actually believe. It's soothing and loving when need be, and authoritarian and brusque if that's required. I'm typically cast as teachers, mothers, sisters, and have also had my turn at dying trolls. So, yep, I've got some zesty fun in there, too. ;)
My wheelhouse is intelligent and encouraging, so I tend to be hired to "explain" things. My fortes are high end commercials, corporate/educational videos and IVR (Interactive Voice Response - "press 1 for this, 2 for that"), as well as advertising telephony and nonfiction audiobooks. I excel at the "big" words, and am not afraid to ask for clarification if I come across something I don't know.
I've worked with most of my clients for maaanny years. ConocoPhillips, BigCommerce, Lane Bryant, Caché, Odwalla, Arden B, StriVectin, Citrix Technologies, Jeunesse and Cook Medical's Endoscopy Unit - to name a few - rely on me to be the voice of their brand for "behind the scenes" activity.
I'd love to develop that relationship with other growing companies (both private and production houses), as I can have a quick turnaround and work directly with producers and/or clients.
Voice Genders and "Ages" I Can Perform
• Teenage Girl
• Young Adult Female
• Middle Age Female
• Senior Female
Language(s) of Which I Am a Native Speaker:
• English - USA and Canada
I Offer my Services for these Recording Purposes
• IVR, voicemail, phone systems, and on-hold messages
• Training, business presentations, sales, and web sites
• TV shows and movies
• Movie and game trailers
• Others (on-camera, infomercials, live announcers, spokespersons)
Jobs I Am Willing to Take (Union-wise)
• Non-Union Jobs
• Jobs for SAG-AFTRA (US) signatories
My Union Affiliations and Memberships
• SAG-AFTRA (US)
My Recording and Delivery Capabilities
• I will go to any designated studio in my area
• I have Phone Patch in my studio
• I can record and then deliver the audio files via Email
• I can record and then upload the audio files via FTP
• I can record and then deliver the files by regular mail
Pre-, Post- and Production Services I Offer
• I can deliver edited and finished voice tracks
• I can add special effects to any project
My Home Base
Los Angeles, California, United States
Accents, Impersonations, Characters and Dialects
southern united states, united states southern, Georgian, Texan, Louisiana, Georgia, Texas, west coast, east coast,
My Voice Experience
I started voiceover when I was an intern at a major television station in Austin, Texas and the promo gal failed to show up. The engineer ran down the hall to the sales department, where I was working, and asked me to step in. I've been blessed to do voiceover ever since.
My fortes are commercials, IVR/phone systems, and corporate/event and "explainer" videos. I also loop (sometimes called "walla walla") for a major NBC television show, and have been consistently asked back due to my willingness to let go and just play.
*"explainer" videos (how-to videos)
Arts Magnet High School (theatre department) Dallas, TX
- Accents and Dialects (including pronunciation of the international phonetic alphabet)
- Vocal Projection
Kalmenson and Kalmenson, Los Angeles, CA
- voice overs for the actor (multiple levels)
- voice overs for the professional
SOVO (Secrets of VoiceOver)/Sotto Voce with David Lawrence XVII
ongoing, current, and including but not limited to:
- Voicing Commercials
- IVR/Interactive Voice Response recording
- Network Narration/Promos
Terry Berland, Los Angeles, CA Mic Technique and Commercial Copy
Jeanette Airen, Los Angeles, CA Alexander Technique
MJ Lallo, Los Angeles, CA Mic and Recording Technique
Ron Ellison, Irvine, CA Diction and Enunciation
Linda Dominguez-Gasson St. Joseph's Medical Center, Burbank
otolaryngologist/ENT (yup, got one of those I see regularly)
Dr. John D Muller East Valley Ear Nose Throat/St. Joseph's Medical Center
My Studio Equipment
I have a state of the art digital studio in my home. We're talking way more than the typical usb mic and setup here.
I've been an actress all of my life. For the past several years, I have specialized in commercials and voiceover. In addition, I've done several ADR sessions to sweeten my own on-camera roles.
Furthermore, I also have experience in software development and teaching that subject, so am very comfortable with technical jargon and more "teaching" roles.
If your project is "low or no" budget, please do not contact me regarding my voiceover services. I wish you all the best in your endeavors, but I am not a good fit, as my minimum rates are union rates. Thanks for understanding.
All fabulousness your way,
Payment Methods Accepted
• Credit cards
• Personal checks, cashier's checks, or money orders in my local currency
To contact Kara Ortiz by email or phone, please click here.
• Currently Kara Ortiz is a Premium subscriber.
• Kara Ortiz has been active on Voice123 during the past 48 hours