Author Posts

August 23, 2016 at 12:54 am

Hi everyone,

First time posting, so apologies if this could be asked in a better spot.

I booked a spot a few months ago — two TV :30′s for a market in Washington/Idaho.  The original post said “No buyout needed.”  Now, the agency has written to me to ask what it would cost for a “regional buyout.”  I’m in my first year of trying to build up a side VO business after years as a radio broadcaster…and I honestly have NO idea what, if anything, I should charge additionally here.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

August 30, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Hi, Dan.  I haven’t had that experience yet, but since no one else has responded, I’ll throw my two cents in.  I’d go to my rate chart (Voice123 has a nice one as reference), and look at the fee for a 15-second spot in the regional market.  Assuming the regional fee is greater than what you were paid originally for the local market spot, you could just invoice them the difference with language stating it was for a regional buyout.

I’m sure there are other ways of approaching it.  Congrats on the client wanting to move you up, and best of luck!

Joe “Zunardo” Jankowski

September 1, 2016 at 11:15 pm

The first thing you need to do is look at the copy and think about how long a shelf-life it could have. If it is fairly generic and could run forever, take that into consideration. The next thing is to find out how regional is regional and if it includes any major cities.

Many non-union agents will charge 3X the 13-week rate for a year buy out. If you want to see what it would be if it was a union job, check out this handy calculator. http://sagaftranumbers.sagaftra.org/