Author Posts

March 6, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Hello,

First time poster, long time reader.

I’ve recently built a single panel, free-standing sound booth and need a way to connect my mics and headphones to the preamp and computer outside.  I’d like to keep acoustics as tight as possible and keep it aesthetically pleasing so I’d like not to go with a simple wire pass-through hole if I can avoid it.  I was thinking a wall mount job, but I can’t find one that doesn’t require soldering in the back (I can’t solder…yet).  Is there a mic/headphone jack box that can be mounted to a single panel wall with connections on both sides of the wall?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. It would be a lovely bonus if anyone could point me toward a design for acoustically treating any and all wires and connections coming out of the booth.

Thanks in advance,

Ivan

March 22, 2017 at 2:37 am

Hi, Ian.  Two things:

1.  Why don’t you want to run wires through a small opening in the wall?  You can just drill a hole big enough, run your wires, and then pack with foam or insulation.  That’s what I did in my studio, the “hole” is behind the desk where I work, and it’s out of the way, it looks fine aesthetically.

2. Why would you run XLR cables thru the wall?  I’m assuming you want to keep your computer outside the studio because of the noise, but the XLR’s are only from your mic to your interface and/or preamp, neither of which should make any noise.  The only “cables” I have going thru the wall to the computer are from the interface, mouse, and keyboard.

The custom jack panel on the inside wall of the studio is a unique idea and would add a professional-looking touch, but it’s not necessary, IMHO.  If you do find one and install, please send a picture, I think it would look cool.  Take care.

Joe “Zunardo” Jankowski         JoeKatVoiceover.com