Author Posts

April 2, 2017 at 10:25 pm

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been struggling to make the office of my small apartment a manageable recording space. The two main issues I’ve been running into are reverb and noise from my system. Standard problems, I’m sure. I believe I’ve at least resolved the reverb issue, and am attempting to deal with machine noise by using an old laptop and keeping it far away from the mic. But I still have a nagging feeling that there’s too much noise for me to reasonably send out these recordings.

Here is a sample of the space

Bearing in mind that this wouldn’t be for any sort of high level professional projects, do you think this audio quality is manageable for sending out auditions for smaller independent projects? Please bear in mind that I’m not looking for commentary on my voice quality or anything. I’m specifically asking about the recording environment itself.

If it’s not up to snuff, any ideas on improvements I could make?

Thanks in advance,
Kyle

April 19, 2017 at 7:11 pm

Hi, Kyle.  Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been having trouble logging in to use the forums the last two weeks

The audio quality seems adequate for the level you want to use it for.  I detect just a slight bit of room echo, but I have to listen closely to catch it.

What acoustic treatment, if any, are you using in your room?  If hanging acoustic foam tile on the walls is not an option, you can look at buying a tabletop acoustic reflection shield from eBay (about $80), or even build your own with some acoustic foam attached to some rigid foam board, and make a 3-sided shield at the back of your desk to absorb the main reflection echoes.

Don’t forget to treat your work desk surface.  I have mine covered with carpet tiles, and they work great.

Best of luck in your endeavors.  Hope to some of your finished work in near future.  Take care.

Joe “Zunardo” Jankowski        http://www.JoeKatVoiceover.com     JoeKatVoiceover@gmail.com