Author Posts

January 3, 2017 at 11:17 am

I have been told that I have a nice voice, and should be a voice actor/actress. Are they saying it to be nice? I am not sure. Should I pursue voice acting? Honest opinions please, and I am willing to take harsh criticism. Please click the link for a sample.

<span style=”background-color: #f0fff8; color: #505050; font-family: ‘Open Sans’; font-size: 10px;”> </span>

I am a noob.<a/>

January 3, 2017 at 1:11 pm

Tara,

I listened to your sample.  My answers are:

1. Based on what I heard, I think you have a decent voice with some character and potential

2. Yes, they may be saying it be nice.  Or, they may think you have a better-than-average voice.

3. Yes, you should pursue, if that’s what you really want - but, you need to pin that down some and ask yourself why you want to pursue it.

You need to find an experienced instructor in the business and meet with them to talk about the business, what you might be capable of doing, and what they can do to help you reach your goals – after you pin them down.   After many years of classroom instruction and PA announcing, I sat down for three hours with a local established VO artist and instructor before I had a clear idea in mind on what I wanted to do, and how I was going to do it.

Another way is to search for a Meet-Up group (or someting similar) on voiceover, if there’s one close to you.  I belong to the Voiceover Pros of Central Ohio Meet-up group, we meet once a month, led by the above-mentioned instructor.  It’s a great way to find out more about the various aspects and niches of VO before deciding if you want to take the plunge.

You should do more research on this, read the various forums, check out books on voiceover at the library, and call people up. It’s a daunting task, but needs to be done.  If you want to correspond more, send me an email to:  joekatvoiceover@gmail.com  and I’ll share some of my experiences in more detail.  Take care, and best of luck in pursuing this!

Joe “Zunardo” Jankowski