Author Posts

September 19, 2016 at 2:08 am

I have a home studio and I can’t figure out how to monitor myself on my headphones while recording.  A friend of mine who is successful in the voice over business (14 years) says she doesn’t use her headphones while recording, just for editing.  Is monitoring while recording necessary? If so, how do I set it up?  I’m using M-Audio MobilePre amp and I have tried my headphones in that headphone jack (but hear nothing). And I’m using a Macbook and Adobe Audition.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Andy

September 23, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Hi, Andy.  Are you using a separate digital/analog interface after the pre-amp?  My mic goes into an Aphex pre-amp, then it goes to a Focusrite interface, and my headphones are jacked into the interface.

On the Focusrite, there is a headphones level (volume) knob, which as to be turned up, and also a  knob that says Input-Playback.  The I-P knob has to be turned toward the Input side for me to hear myself thru the ‘phones while recording.  Then went I want to listen to edit, I have to turn the knob back to the Playback side to hear the recording.

If you’re only using one device that is a combination pre-amp/interface, I would look for a similar control.

I’ve recorded both with headphones and without.  Now I typically record with them off for a couple of reasons – not having to fiddle with the Input-Playback knob is one.  I hope this has been helpful.  Take care.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Avatar of Joe Jankowski Joe Jankowski.

December 29, 2016 at 1:39 am

Hi Joe! Thanks for answering this post.  I’m sorry I missed it back when you posted it.

Having done some more research, I did find out that my pre-amp/interface just doesn’t have direct monitoring capability. I MAY look into another pre-amp.   So does your Focusrite require you to have pre-amp also? I was thinking about the Focusrite 2i4.

Andy

January 3, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Andy,

I have the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, and it does NOT require a pre-amp.  You can just plug your mic directly into it, and adjust your mic level thru the Focusrite.  In fact, that’s how I was recording the first two weeks I got started because I was having issues with poor tone and noise thru the pre-amp.  Turned out to be interference from having all my cables too close together, and then I mic’d into the pre-amp and started playing with the settings to tweak my vocals.

The Scarlett 2i4 is a great interface for the price, in my opinion, but it’s the only thing I’ve used to date.  Good luck!

Joe

January 4, 2017 at 4:02 pm

Thanks Joe!   I’ve put the Scarlett 2i4 on my wishlist!

May 6, 2017 at 9:35 am

good question..I HAD THE SAME Q