Author Posts

May 19, 2012 at 7:14 am

Hi everyone,
I live next to a busy road with sirens and sometimes the trucks even shake the house. So, in a situation like this does anyone know of a contractor near Spokane, Washington or a schematic that would 100% take care of the issue? and what are the costs?
I need to price for success. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jennifer Cosby

May 20, 2012 at 1:32 am

Jennifer,

The solution you’re seeking will probably cost a pretty penny.

Most of us are concerned with noise absorption INSIDE our space, which is mainly acoustical reflections that cause general nastiness while recording.

To prevent EXTERNAL noises from entering your recording space, you’re now talking Sound Proofing, and generally, if something is shaking your house, you’re going to have to consider building a structure within a structure (i.e. floating walls, floor and ceiling) that do NOT connect directly with the house structure.

If your budget permits for such modification of your space, then I’d seek out a company specializing in acoustical sound proofing.

Beyond that, there’s always what Home Studio Master Dan Lenard says, “If it’s not a LIVE, ISDN session, record on your schedule when things are the quietest, often early in the morning or later at night, if need be.”

If you have a basement (not an option here in Florida) that’s a prime area for locating your studio due to the ground being a fantastic insulator.

My booth does a fine job with my voice INSIDE, but folks outside my booth can still hear me, and I can still hear them if they decide to talk or make other noise.

I wish you the best of luck, and look forward to hearing your solution!

Best Regards,

Marc Schwartz

http://voice123.com/marcschwartz

July 16, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Jennifer, I agree with what Marc posted, but should also add that if you don’t have access to the skills to build a floating room, there are pre-fab isolation booths that you can buy to place inside your recording studio. They’re pricy, but can really help limit outside noise.

July 16, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Get some Corning 703 panels, cover them with a nice pattern material and hang them in your recording room. You’ll have to find a supplier online.

July 16, 2012 at 5:30 pm

@Eddie Eagle wrote:

Get some Corning 703 panels, cover them with a nice pattern material and hang them in your recording room. You’ll have to find a supplier online.

Hey Eddie!

I’ve heard of great results with these panels, but one really must be comfortable working with this material.

If you don’t have someone who is skilled in dealing with these relatively “hazardous” materials, you could put your health at risk.

Further, I recall someone pricing it out, and even with an online supplier for the Owens Corning, the special fabric was rather expensive as well (can’t recall the name of it).

I realize some companies will prefab these for your, and if you have the money to buy them, or the skills and money to build them, they are an optimal solution, but foam is vastly easier to work with and cheaper in the long run.

I’ve heard from folks who have Whisper Rooms, and even they said they need additional treatment inside via foam and/or panels.

It’s a tricky situation, but it often seems a closet full of clothes works best for most! ;) Go figure! :D

Marc Schwartz

August 15, 2012 at 4:35 am

I would suggest talking with George Whittam or Dan Lenard http://www.ewabs.com. Those guys really know their stuff. I talked a lot to both of them when building my room, and I can’t hear a peep from outside my home (which has a busy street pretty close with engine brakes galore). The ONLY thing I can ever hear is when my kids jump off the couch onto the tile directly above the room. My room cost me about $3000 to build myself. That includes wall-to-wall 8# 4″ Rockwool panels (including the ceiling).

If you hire a contractor, you may just want to get a WhisperRoom instead. It’d be much quicker and less painful to set up.

September 6, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Hi
I found good results from a home build solution. As mentioned in other posts the key is to create a room within your room. Even the floor is off the real floor supported on cross beams of timber and sound reducing padding at any joint. The walls of the new room are thick external ply wood sheets and onto this is glued sound studio sound panels and onto the ceiling and sound tiles on the floor. I used to work at the BBC and relished their build quality but of course we do not have this, usually. Sounds outside are stopped by – air gaps and or heavy material, so light padding will not work. Double glazing if new has a wider inter pane air gap and that can help a lot. So my room in a room has a double glazed window panel 2 x 1 metres. This is heavy but does give me light into the recording area. On work surfaces I have grey carpet. The overall size of the room in a room should of course be large enough for you, to stand and if too small the sound will be dead, too large and you need a larger outer room! I had prepared but did not need a second layer of walls that would be fitted to the walls with sound insulating fixings – if the external sound can move the air in the gap it will get through, but as the studio foam on the walls worked so well I did not need it. The entire room has a door and so it seals shut. The other action you can also take is to review the type of mike and go to a directional model. I prefer a large condenser mike but I pay the price by needing to make this room. Oh and don’t forget a comfortable and silent chair and all pcs outside. I have a PC screen to check the levels and see the sound incoming, another screen for texts and another screen for news feeds with comfortable headphones that lie flat when on the desk and Also LED lights means no extra heat. Good luck, Peter

June 6, 2017 at 4:15 am

Hello, are you still interested in a vocal booth? Im with QC Acoustics,  we build vocal booths and are much cheaper than the companies listed above. If youre intested, feel free to email me at sean@qcacoustics.com.  Thank you!